Halitosis, or bad breath, is an embarrassing problem that nearly everyone knows, yet few want to talk about. Our office can help you get to the bottom of this problem and give you simple solutions to prevent bad breath.
Bad breath has many causes, such as:
• Odor-causing foods
• Tooth decay
• Periodontal (gum) disease
• Bacteria growing on the tongue
• Dry mouth
• Use of tobacco products
• Sinus or respiratory infections
• Some medical disorders or medications
• Improperly cleaned dentures
• Poor oral hygiene
We can help find the cause of bad breath and if it’s due to an oral condition, we can set up a treatment plan to get rid of this problem. Treatment may be easier than you think.
Here are some quick tips for preventing bad breath:
1. Have regular dental visits for a professional exam and cleaning.
2. Avoid constant use of breath mints and other hard candies containing sugar. They only temporarily hide bad breath and can lead to tooth decay.
3. Make a list of over-the-counter and prescribed medications that you take. Some may cause bad breath.
4. Look for oral hygiene products with the ADA Seal of Acceptance, a symbol of safety and effectiveness.
5. Brush twice a day and brush your tongue, too. Use floss or an interdental cleaner to clean between teeth once a day.
6. If you wear removable dentures, take them out at night. Clean them carefully before putting them back in your mouth the next morning.
If you feel you must always use a breath freshener or mouthwash to hide bad breath, see me so we can get to the root of the problem. Call our office at (740) 474-4396 to schedule an appointment for an exam and cleaning. We are happy to help restore confidence in your oral health.